Following the release of the March 2010 Motorcycle Industry Association (MCIA) registration results, BMW Motorrad is pleased to announce record-breaking sales in the UK during the first three months of 2010.
BMW Motorrad registrations for the first quarter of 2010 to 31 March, key highlights:
- BMW Motorrad sales up 40 percent in a motorcycle market that is down 20 percent.
- BMW Motorrad’s share of the total motorcycle market at 12.6 percent makes BMW the third most popular motorcycle manufacturer in the UK.
- BMW Motorrad sold more motorcycles over 500cc than any other manufacturer in the UK, with 16.8 percent share of the +500cc sector.
- S1000RR sales accounted for 43.2 percent of the 1000cc supersports segment and the RR was the best-selling motorcycle over 125cc, with a total of 465 sold.
- The new BMW R1200RT jumped straight to the top of the touring sector selling 285. The K1300GT was the second most popular in the segment, giving BMW a 40 percent share of the tourer market.
BMW Motorrad registrations for the month of March 2010, key highlights:
- March saw the highest ever number of BMW registrations in one month, with 1,539 motorcycles sold—up 50 percent over the same period last year.
- The S1000RR was the best-selling supersports motorcycle in the UK, recording 385 motorcycles sold.
- Four of the UK’s five best-selling motorcycles over 125cc were BMWs.
3rd: R1200GS Adventure
- The uprated R1200GS and GS Adventure topped the adventure sports category.
- On March 1, 2010, 380 BMW motorcycles were registered in the UK—the highest ever number of BMW bikes registered in a single day.
Adrian Roderick, General Manager of BMW Motorrad UK, said: “March has been a record-breaking month for BMW Motorrad in the UK. Not only have we sold more bikes than ever before but we also have a bike topping the supersports league table. Who could have predicted that a few years ago?
“The S1000RR has been phenomenally successful. The uprated R1200GS and R1200RT have also topped their market sectors. We have the most dynamic and exciting range of motorcycles we’ve ever had and we’re delighted that the buying public think so too.”