In addition to the new R1200R models, BMW will introduce a new single cylinder, the G650GS, at EICMA. (See all the photos in our G650GS Photo Gallery as well as our coverage of EICMA in Milan, Italy, in our upcoming Winter issue #9 of BMW Motorcycle Magazine.) With the new BMW G650GS, BMW Motorrad has added yet another member to its BMW GS family. Its lean, wiry off-road stature, the new single-cylinder enduro cuts a cheeky, light, and adventurous figure. At the same time it stands out clearly from its rivals in terms of quality, equipment, and comfort. In conjunction with its relatively low weight and the low seat height, it presents an attractive means of entry to the passion of motorbiking and the fascinating world of BMW GS adventure.
The new G650GS has opted for technology used on a wide basis: the popular and successful BMW F650GS with single-cylinder drive of many years’ standing. This liquid-cooled single-cylinder engine with double overhead camshafts has a displacement of 652 cc, delivers 35 kW (48 hp) at 6500 rpm, and develops a maximum torque of 60 Nm at 5000 rpm. As an optional accessory, the vehicle is also available in a power reduction version, delivering 25 kW (34 hp) at 6500 rpm and 47 Nm at 4500 rpm (not to be imported into the U.S.).
Thanks to electronic fuel injection, twin-spark ignition, the high geometrical compression ratio of 11.5:1, and a closed-loop catalytic converter, this tried and tested single-cylinder engine is designed for the maximum level of riding pleasure with the best possible efficiency and high environmental compatibility. It shines forth with exemplary low consumption values of, for example, only 3.2 litres per 100 km at a constant 90 km/h.
In conjunction with the claw-shifted five-speed gearbox, the free revving single-cylinder engine in the new BMW G650GS provides for a thrilling experience, in particular on snaking country roads. Its beefy torque curves and good response also allow detours handled with supreme ease beyond the asphalt of roads.
The suspension of the new G650GS was developed primarily for running on country roads and takes the form of an agile chassis with a bridge frame of steel tubing and a bolt-on framework tail that has already seen excellent service on the earlier BMW F650GS.
Whereas the front wheel is controlled by torsionaly rigid telescopic forks, the rear system takes the form of a solid dual swing arm of square steel sections in conjunction with a monoshock linked via a lever system. Besides the optimal riding stability up to the maximum speed of 170 km/h (power reduction 145 km/h) the new G650GS presents a thrilling performance of playful handling on the country road. Adequate spring travel ensures a high level of riding comfort and appealing off-road qualities despite its low seat height.
Powerful deceleration is provided by the brake system consisting of a single brake disc at the front and rear. The BMW Motorrad ABS, available as optional factory-fitted equipment, can be deactivated for off-road riding.
The body of the new G650GS was completely redesigned. In particular the front section makes the single-cylinder enduro light, sporty, and dynamic. The asymmetrical headlamp and the self steering front wheel cover give the G650GS its look of absolute independence.
A clear design of lines, the targeted use of coloured areas and all black plastic parts uphold the visual impression of a robust enduro outfit. The overall impression of sportiness is boosted further by the engine, exhaust covers, frame, swinging arm, and slide tubes, which are all black, contrasting with the plain colours of aura white and orange-red as well as the matching two-tone seats.
The new BMW G650GS will be produced at the BMW Motorrad plant in Berlin Spandau.
The following presents an overview of the essential features of the new BMW G650GS:
- Reliable, high torque, and low consumption single-cylinder engine with 652 cc displacement.
- Engine power 35 kW (48 hp) at 6500 rpm and maximum torque 60 Nm at 5000 rpm.
- Tried and tested suspension concept with bridge frame and swinging arm of steel, telescopic forks, and monoshock (spring travel front 170 mm, rear 165 mm).
- Cast light alloy wheels in new design. Diameter front 19”, rear 17”. Wider rear wheel rim for even better riding stability.
- Stable brake system with single brake disc at front and rear and OFF/ON BMW Motorrad ABS (optional factory-fitted equipment).
- Redesigned body scopes incl. windshield with GS molding and two-tone seat.
- Lean and ergonomic 14 liter tank.
- Three different seat heights: standard 780 mm, low slung 750 mm (as optional factory-fitted equipment), high seat (black) 820 mm.
- Sporty cockpit design with asymmetrical headlamp and instrument panel.
- Luggage carrier with lockable storage compartment.
- Smoky grey indicators.
- New handlebar fittings.
- Extensive optional factory-fitted equipment: BMW Motorrad ABS (ON/OFF), heated grips, anti-theft alarm system, centre stand, socket, low slung.
- Extensive optional accessories with the familiarly high BMW Motorrad standards.