Husqvarna Enduro Team by CH Racing’s Matti Seistola made two visits to the Enduro 1 class podium at the Enduro World Championship’s GP of Portugal, bringing a welcome turn around in form and an end to what has been a tough start to the 2012 series for the Finnish rider. Third on day one to claim his first EWC rostrum result of the year, Matti then went one better on day two by claiming a well-deserved runner-up result aboard his TE250.
With conditions in Portugal much drier and hotter than the previous week’s GP of Euskadi, the fourth round of the 2012 Enduro World Championship proved to be yet another demanding event. Offering no let up for competitors, the lack of a true enduro test meant that much of the event’s racing was carried on dry, dusty and in many places slippery ground. In complete contrast to both the motocross and enduro tests the event’s extreme test was technically challenging.
Recording the third fastest time in the Enduro 1 class during Friday night’s super test, Matti Seistola immediately made his intentions of wanting to secure a top three result on day one known. Completing a solid opening lap Matti battled with countryman Eero Remes for much of the day before eventually placing third. Day two saw more impressive riding from Matti. With his confidence returning, he pushed hard throughout the day to keep the pressure on eventual day winner Antoine Meo. Opening up a small gap over the third placed finisher Rodrig Thain, Matti secured his best result of the season so far and claimed the Husqvarna Racing Team by CH Racing’s best result at the GP of Portugal.
Disappointingly, Seistola’s Enduro 1 class teammate Lorenzo Santolino fractured a bone in his left foot on the opening day’s final extreme test. Although managing to end the day and secure a ninth place result the Spaniard was unable to take to the start of the second day’s competition.
The GP of Portugal proved to be a tough one for Husqvarna’s Enduro 2 class riders Juha Salminen, Alex Salvini and Romain Dumontier. Salminen came agonizingly close to finishing on the podium on day one only to place fourth, while Salvini placed just five seconds away from the podium on day two. Like many riders both Juha and Alex found the long, fast enduro and motocross special tests difficult to master with the Finn placing sixth in class on day two while Alex could manage no better than seventh on day one.
Next up for the Enduro World Championship is the Husqvarna Enduro Team by CH Racing’s home event – the GP of Italy, on June 30-July 1.
GP of Portugal
Enduro 1, Day 1
1. Rodrig Thain (HM Honda) 55:25.10;
2. Eero Remes (KTM) 55:31.02;
3. Matti Seistola (Husqvarna) 55:50.04;
4. Fabien Planet (Sherco) 55:52.21;
5. Jeremy Joly (Yamaha) 55:56.59…
9. Lorenzo Santolino (Husqvarna) 57:00.42…
Enduro 2, Day 1
1. Johnny Aubert (KTM) 54:40.22;
2. Pierre-Alexandre Renet (Husaberg) 55:01.67;
3. Jeremy Tarroux (KTM) 55:10.55;
4. Juha Salminen (Husqvarna) 55:11.95;
5. Cristobal Guerrero (KTM) 55:11.97…
7. Alex Salvini (Husqvarna) 55:54.30…
11. Romain Dumontier (Husqvarna) 56:43.48…
Enduro 1, Day 2
1. Antoine Meo (KTM) 53:38.90;
2. Matti Seistola (Husqvarna) 54:00.11;
3. Rodrig Thain (HM Honda) 54:00.84;
4. Eero Remes (KTM) 54:07.39;
5. Jeremy Joly (Yamaha) 54:38.46…
Enduro 2, Day 2
1. Pierre-Alexandre Renet (Husaberg) 53:15.99;
2. Johnny Aubert (KTM) 53:24.84;
3. Cristobal Guerrero (KTM) 53:39.91;
4. Alex Salvini (Husqvarna) 53:45.01;
5. Jeremy Tarroux (KTM) 53:53.47…
6. Juha Salminen (Husqvarna) 54:06.88…
12. Romain Dumontier (Husqvarna) 54:54.65…
Overall standings after 4 rounds:
1. Meo (KTM) 140 pts.;
2. Thain (HM) 109pts.;
3. Remes (KTM) 93 pts.;
4. Seistola (Husqvarna) 83 pts.,
5.Albergoni (HM) 83 pts. ….
11. Santolino (Husqvarna) 51 pts.
1. Renet (Husaberg) 133 pts. ;
2. Guerrero (KTM) 118 pts. ;
3. Salminen (Husqvarna) 100 pts. ;
4. Aubert (KTM) 98pts. ;
5. Cervantes (GAS GAS) 92 pts. ;
6. Salvini (Husqvarna) 80 pts. ; ….
16. Dumontier (Husqvarna) 24 pts.
- EWC12: Good speed but bad luck for Salminen at GP of Argentina
- Podiums for Husky at Opening of Enduro World Championship 2012
- EWC 2012: Podium Success for Husqvarna at GP of Sweden
- Husqvarna Wins Titles in Enduro World Championships
- EWC 2012: Double Podium for Juha Salminen & Husqvarna at GP of Finland