BMW has added a new top-of-the-line model to their K1600 range, the K1600GTL Exclusive. Building on the standard K1600GTL, it includes many previously optional accessories as well as several new “exclusive” features. Topping the new list is Keyless Ride with central locking which, like similar systems on BMW’s automobiles, allows the rider to unlock, start and ride away without removing the key fob from a pocket. The motorcycle’s steering lock, ignition, fuel filler flap and central locking are all released by means of a transponder integrated into the key when its within about 6.5 feet (2 meters) of the bike.
Next the GTL Exclusive gets Hill Start Control which holds the rear brake when starting on a hill allowing the rider to easily start off even when fully loaded and carrying a passenger. Hill Start Control shouldn’t be confused with a parking brake since it only works with the engine running and after the rider has squeezed the hand brake lever. The system is deactivated by either pressing the brake lever again or pulling away in first or second gear.
Rounding out the new accessories is a film radio antenna integrated into the trunk lid (replacing the normal whip antenna), new instrument style with chrome accents, new LED daytime running lights, larger seats with armrests and backrest heating for the passenger and “high-grade” four coat paint finish in exclusive Mineral white metallic high gloss with color-coordinated upholstery.
More info to come in the Spring 2014 BMW Motorcycle Magazine. For now, check out all the photos at the bottom of this news post as well as BMW’s press release below:
The BMW K 1600 GTL Exclusive takes two-wheeled travel to a whole new level thanks to a 118 kW (160 hp) in-line six-cylinder engine that melds superlative power with exemplary refinement, as well as boasting superb standards of equipment and comfort.
Spearheading the BMW Motorrad tourer range, the “Exclusive” model already lays claim to a class-beating specification as standard, including central locking with anti-theft alarm system and ESA II electronic suspension adjustment for an optimum spring/damper setup regardless of load. The Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) boosts safety when accelerating, while the innovative new Hill Start Control feature takes all the hard work out of pulling away uphill, even when carrying a passenger and luggage. Needless to say, the K1600GTL Exclusive also comes equipped with BMW Motorrad ABS as standard, like all BMW motorcycles.
The film antenna for the radio that is embedded in the topcase lid is a world first and ensures the best possible reception quality while also enhancing the bike’s appearance. Long-distance travel comfort for the pillion passenger is taken to greater heights by a new seat, the heated backrest and comfortable armrests. Also to be found on the list of standard equipment are LED auxiliary headlights, adaptive xenon headlight, Tire Pressure Monitor, additional brake light, engine protection bar, floor lighting, as well as LED daytime running light and, for the first time on a BMW motorcycle, Keyless Ride.
The styling of the “Exclusive” model likewise spells pure luxury – from the fuel tank’s aluminium molding through the fully chromed exhaust system to the new-look instrumentation.
The color scheme for the new K1600GTL Exclusive adds to the sense of elegance and aesthetic appeal. The bodywork’s four-coat paint finish in Mineral white metallic high gloss combines to striking effect with the classy chrome surfaces, the contrasting shade of Magnesium metallic matt and the Glacier silver metallic radiator fins. The color-coordinated upholstery for the seat cushions, backrest and pillion passenger armrests adds the perfect finishing touch.
The highlights of the new BMW K1600GTL Exclusive:
- Superior in-line six-cylinder engine with abundant pulling power, especially at low and medium revs.
- Output of 118 kW (160 hp) at 7,750 rpm and maximum torque of 175 Nm (129 lb-ft) at 5,250 rpm.
- Over 70 percent of maximum torque on tap from just 1,500 rpm.
- Three selectable riding modes (“Rain”, “Road”, “Dynamic”).
- High standard of active safety thanks to BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (part integral).
- Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) to maximise safety when accelerating.
- Chassis featuring duolever and paralever suspension plus ideal concentration of mass for dynamic handling abilities combined with the best possible comfort.
- Electronic Suspension Adjustment II (ESA II) for optimum adaptation to all operating requirements and vehicle loads.
- New instrumentation scales and sophisticated chrome surfaces. (New!)
- Instrument cluster with extended functionality. (New!)
- Larger seat area, armrests and new heated backrest to offer pillion passengers the best possible comfort. (New!)
- Liners for cases and topcase (embroidered).
- Keyless Ride and central locking to maximize ease of use and security. (New!)
- Hill Start Control enabling pulling away uphill with ease and comfort. (New!)
- Integral film antenna for optimum radio reception and exclusive styling. (World first!)
- Adaptive xenon headlight for greater safety on night-time rides.
- LED daytime running light. (New!)
- LED auxiliary headlights.
- Floor lighting.
- Audio system with preparation for navigation device and controllable interface for iPod, MP3, USB, Bluetooth and satellite radio (satellite radio only available in USA and Canada).
- Innovative design offering outstanding wind and weather protection.
- Elaborate, exceptionally high-grade four-coat paint finish. (New!)
- Extensive equipment and bespoke accessories made to BMW Motorrad’s customary high standards.