BMW Motorrad announced their Smartphone Cradle last October and it’s now available from dealers — except in the United States. According to our contact at BMW Motorrad USA, the cradle will not be available in the US market for the foreseeable future due to concerns over legal liability related to distracted riding.
For those in other markets, BMW Motorrad has, in their own words, “designed a smartphone cradle being able to fasten smartphones up to a size of 5 inches quickly and safely to the handlebar clamps for optimum rider’s readability and handling.” The smartphone can be used in landscape or portrait orientation and uses the BMW Motorrad Navigator V’s mount (special accessory, not part of the package). The cost is €195 including 19% VAT in Germany (about $215).
Highlights of the BMW Motorrad Smartphone Cradle:
- Designed for smartphones up to a size of 5 inches
- Robust plastic hardcase
- Anti-slip, vibration and shock impeding gel pad shelf
- Able to fasten smartphones quickly and safely to the handlebar clamps
- Optimum rider´s readability and handling
- Alternatively in horizontal or vertical format
- The vision panel offers a best possible readability thanks to a see-through antireflection flex foil
- Power supply is made by the onboard socket (special accessory)
- Charging is done via micro-USB or wirelessly according to Qi standards
- LED informs about the charging state