While BMW Motorrad revealed their updated 2017 K1600GT last month, they waited until now at the EICMA show in Milan, Italy, to show the new 2017 K1600GTL. Like the GT, the GTL adds a few new optional features: Reverse Assist, which moves the bike backwards at a walking pace (by pressing the reverse and starter buttons); Shift Assistant Pro for clutchless up and down shifts; and Intelligent Emergency Call to get help after an accident or other emergency (only available in parts of Europe with ConnectedDrive capabilities).
The K1600GTL’s six cylinder engine is the same but now meets stricter European “Euro 4” emission requirements, which required new catalytic converters and status displays in the cockpit. Dynamic ESA and its automatic suspension damping is now standard. The foot guard and lower fairing storage compartments on the left and right have been redesigned and are now both standard features.
Visually, the GTL has been given a update too. In addition to new, exclusive colors (white, gray or black), there are new chromed side trim and new, revised deflectors that have been “optimized” for wind and weather protection. Larger mirrors with aspherical sections should enhance reward visibility. Optional forged, double spoke rims are available. And new footrest base plates allow footboards to be used for the passenger.
Check out BMW’s press release below and our complete 2017 BMW K1600GTL photo gallery.
BMW Motorrad presents the new BMW K1600GTL. The luxurious performance touring bike has been further refined and optimized.
With unrivaled running smoothness, an inimitable sound and the supreme power of its 118 kW (160 hp) 6-cylinder in-line engine, the extensively fitted BMW K1600GTL already provided incomparable dynamic travel pleasure in its existing form. In the revised version, BMW Motorrad has now optimized the luxurious performance touring bike even further.
- Adaptation to EU4 requirements.
- 6-cylinder in-line engine including new catalytic converters and adapted data status according to EU4 requirements, with an output of 118 kW (160 hp) at 7,750 rpm and a maximum torque of 175 Nm at 5,250 rpm.
- Enhanced visual presence.
- Optimized wind and weather protection due to enlarged slipstream deflectors as well as side trim sections moved further to the rear.
- Relaxed, upright seating posture with handlebars shifted further back (as compared to the K1600GT) and lower footrests.
- Electronic suspension Dynamic ESA with automatic damping adaptation as standard.
- Reverse assist for even simpler maneuverability as an ex works option.
- Shift Assistant Pro for shifting up and down without clutch activation as an ex works option.
- Intelligent Emergency Call as an ex works option for rapid assistance in an accident or emergency (currently only available in European markets with ConnectedDrive capability).
- New attractive color schemes:
– Lightwhite non-metallic
– Thundergrey metallic
– K1600GTL Elegance: Ebony metallic/Blackstorm metallic
- Extensive standard equipment (ABS Pro, Dynamic Traction Control DTC, xenon headlamp, grip and seat heating, multi-controller, three riding modes, cruise control, topcase with integrated comfortable backrest.etc.).
- Diverse range of well-established optional equipment items (adaptive turning light, daytime riding light, Keyless Ride, Hill Start Control, central locking, forged wheels etc.).
- New and familiar Original BMW Motorrad Accessories, e.g. comfortable passenger footboards, additional brake light for topcase, HP sports silencer, chrome parts, crash bar etc.
Enhanced visual presence, improved wind and weather protection and optimized ergonomics for even greater comfort.
The appearance of the new K1600GTL is especially striking due to its more elegant and dynamic lines. The side trim sections have been redesigned from the enlarged and more efficient slipstream deflectors downwards, for example, and have been drawn backwards for improved wind and weather protection. There are also wind deflectors to provide more effective protection for the rider’s hands. The two mirrors are also newly styled as well has having enlarged mirror areas with an aspherical section for a further enhanced view of traffic to the rear. The emblem carrier and model designation are presented in high-quality chrome.
The foot guard and storage compartment on the left and right in the lower area of the engine (now both standard features) have also been redesigned.
Optimum travel suitability is guaranteed by the standard topcase, fitted with a back pad that allows the passenger to lean back and relax over long distances.
Electronic suspension Dynamic ESA with automatic damping adaptation as standard.
With the standard electronically controlled suspension Dynamic ESA and its adjustment modes “Road” and “Dynamic”, the new K1600GTL opens up a whole new dimension of ride comfort, stability and dynamics to provide an incomparable riding experience.
In the standard setting “Road”, damping adaptation is fully automated and offers the very highest level of comfort and traction over virtually all surfaces. Depending on customer preference, the spring preload can be adapted to the load state at the press of a button and independently of the damping. Likewise at the press of a button – conveniently positioned on the handlebars, so it is even possible during travel – the rider can switch to the damping characteristics “Dynamic”, thereby selecting a tighter damping set-up overall.
New reverse assist for convenient maneuvering.
The new K1600GTL meets the demands of a luxurious touring bike even when maneuvering. The reverse assist function can be conveniently activated from the left handlebar panel at the press of a button. Movement itself is initiated by the rider by pressing on the starter button.
Shift Assistant Pro for shifting up and down without using the clutch.
Shift Assistant Pro, available as an ex works option, enables the rider to conveniently shift up and down without activating the clutch or throttle valve and can be used for most gearshift operations.
Ensuring the fastest possible assistance in the event of an accident or in situations of emergency and danger can save people’s lives – something that particularly affects motorcyclists. For this reason, the new K1600GTL can be fitted with the e-call system “Intelligent Emergency Call” as part of an optional equipment item available ex works.
This option will be introduced in numerous European markets by 2018. It should be noted that this function will initially only be available in markets with ConnectedDrive capability.
Comfortable footboards and exclusive forged wheels as individualization options.
A wide range of Original BMW Motorrad Accessories and optional equipment items available ex works means that the new K1600GTL leaves virtually nothing to be desired. New footrest base plates now permit installation of comfortable footboards for the passenger. Newly designed, optional forged wheels, each with eleven double spokes, further enhance the exclusivity of the K1600GTL.
Three exclusive color variants from “Sport” to “Elegance”.
The new K1600GTL is presented in the three new color variants Lightwhite non-metallic, Thundergrey metallic and Ebony metallic/Blackstorm metallic.
In conjunction with an engine in Platinum metallic as well as the frame and contrasting parts in the finish Monolith metallic matt, the color Lightwhite non-metallic highlights the flowing proportions and the emotional design of the K1600GTL.
By contrast, the color Thundergrey metallic gives the GTL a classic timeless look.
The K1600GTL Elegance in the paint finish Ebony metallic/Blackstorm metallic emphasises refinement and exclusivity. Here, special chrome accentuations on the front mudguards and slipstream deflectors make a sophisticated, luxurious statement.